Draft Pay Policy
Decision maker: The Executive
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
To recommend to Council the draft pay policy for the London Borough of Sutton.
It was reported that the Localism Act required all local authorities to produce and publish a pay policy statement as part of the Government’s wish for greater transparency on public sector pay and in particular for that of senior officers. The pay policy had to be approved by full Council.
The Executive had before it a draft pay policy statement which covered the following key areas:
· The Council’s commitment to pay transparency and fairness
· Pay benchmarking – including the Council’s approach to use evidence-based research to ensure pay was appropriate
· Pay ratios
· Current pay structures and arrangements
· Transparency arrangements
· Future arrangements, including brief reference to the Council’s changing governance arrangements including that for senior pay
· Termination payments for senior officers and governance
The pay policy statement reflected the requirements of the new Government Recommended Code of Practice on Transparency and would need to be reviewed annually by full Council.
RECOMMENDED: That the pay policy statement, as set out in Appendix B to these Minutes, be adopted and placed on the Council’s web site.
Publication date: 13/04/2012
Date of decision: 26/03/2012
Decided at meeting: 26/03/2012 - The Executive